Liberal USD 480 (Kan.) Breaks Ground on New and Renovated Schools
On Tuesday, December 9, Liberal, Kan., community members, students and USD 480 staff got their hands dirty breaking ground on more than 500,000 SF of new and renovated schools for the District. Projects include:
- Two new site adapt 6-8 grade Middle Schools
- Renovated Elementary school into the Districts Central Office
- Two existing Elementary Schools to Pre-K centers
- Three new site adapt K-5 Elementary Schools
- Two renovated K-5 Elementary Schools
- Renovations of West Middle school and incorporated into the 9-12 High School
“The Liberal USD 480 vision team realized the need for new and upgraded facilities to enhance the learning environment for its students,” said DLR Group Principal Kevin Greischar. “The three new elementary schools and two new middle schools will accommodate the growing student population and provide 21st Century learning environments appropriate for each age group. These facilities will be a catalyst for exciting educational and community changes for students, teachers, and the greater Liberal community for decades to come.”
The projects are funded through a $127,860,000 bond referendum and a city sales tax increase. Both measures were approved by voters in April 2014.
The first phase of schools will be open to students in the 2016-2017 school year. These facilities will create parity within the community at the Middle School and Elementary School levels and create space to accommodate the rising Pre-K student population.